Friday, April 9, 2010

Need help with plant & tree identification!

Spring has sprung and we have inherited some landscaping from the previous owners. I know almost nothing about plants or trees and their care. I would like to change that and keep our yard nicely landscaped with trees and plants. I am asking YOUR help in identifying what is already in the yard and its care. I assume things blooming now are perennials instead of annuals (in my mind, the terms should be switched as annual means yearly or once a year....they bloom once a year...instead of ONCE).

Below are 20 photos I took of the yard this week. I believe you can click on the photo to get a larger image. If you know what the plants are and how to care for them, please leave a comment on my blog with the information!!

Also, I discovered planters of rosemary and Greek oregano outside - any chances they will be okay and still be alive/grow after being outside all winter?

I appreciate any help or information you can give me!

Photo 1:
Photo 2:
Photo 3 (the tree in front with pinkish blossoms):
Photo 4 (I know it may be hard to identify without leaves):
Photo 5 (are most of these "weeds" growing under the tree?):
Photo 6:
Photo 7:
Photo 8:
Photo 9:
Photo 10 (some sort of natural grass? does it need to be cut back/trimmed?):
Photo 11:
Photo 12:
Photo 13:
Photo 14:
Photo 15:
Photo 16:
Photo 17:
Photo 18 (2 plants - the upper left looks like lamb's ear with fuzzy leaves):
Photo 19:
Photo 20 (these are all over in the front and back yards):

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Possibilities: hostas, spirea, crabapple tree, phlox(purple flower),sedum, viburnum

Ann in Valpo said...

1-3) Not good with the flowering trees but 1 is too close to the house and probably a little big to transplant. I'd take it out.
4) honey locust--love these! Very cool looking and will scare little children away.
5) Yes. All weeds!
6) Holly. Looks like a male. If you don't get red berries this year, get it a mate. You can move the "boy" to a less conspicuous location and have the "girl" out where you can enjoy it more.
7) Hens and chicks. Fun! Will spread even in rocky soil but not invasive.
8) clematis
9) euonymous
10) decorative grass. This looks like the kind you have to divide every couple years and it's a pain--you practically need a chainsaw to cut through the roots. You can cut it back in fall, or leave it for winter interest then cut back in early spring.
11)hydrangea
12)rose. If it doesn't bloom this year, it won't ever. If you don't mulch these over the winter a lot of times you'll lose the flowering part that they graft onto the root stock.
13)sedum (blooms late summer)
14 looks like spirea. Hack dead stuff away at will. It'll grow back.
15) Weeds, possibly nightshade.
16) same as 9
17) lungwort. Cute early spring bloomer, but can be invasive
18) hosta in lower right, rest looks like weeds
19) more spirea
20 creeping phlox. great low maintenance border

Laura said...

Sounds like Ann covered most of them.
Pretty sure #2 is an ornamental pear. At least, that's what my dad told me they were when they lined the streets where I grew up.
#3 - need a closer look, but maybe a cherry?

Unknown said...

Think Ann did a great job and identified more than I could. I second what Ann said.
Dad