Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Penfield House

This weekend John and I spent the weekend with my parents at the Louis Penfield House. It is an Unsonian house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The Penfield House is one of three FLW houses that are available to rent overnight.

The photo below is the gate near the road. The driveway is quite long and the house is near Chagrin River (and a highway - you can hear the traffic but not see it). We saw a buck walking across the driveway one night.

This is the "front" of the house which faces the back property which is quite wooded and gives the feeling of "getting away from it all" despite being located in Willoughby Hills (a suburb of Cleveland).
I am a fan of Wright's style and it was a thrill to actually live in one of his designs instead of just touring a FLW home for a bit and leaving.

Frank Lloyd Wright's signature on a tile near the front door.

A view of the house walking back from the river.

John adjusting the fire in the "walk-in" fireplace.
The house from the "back" which faces the road. Wright believed the front of the house should not face the street but have a view of the less busy and more relaxing backyard.

I only took a few inside photos this year. The first time we rented the house was in 2007 and I took a lot more pictures at that visit. If I can find them (and if they are digital), I will post them.

No comments: